Thursday, September 18, 2014

Daydreaming...

No volcano news this morning, to the relief of everyone. I am drinking coffee and bracing myself for exercise at the gym. After that comes all the work I didn't do yesterday. Mostly sunny today, with a high of 71. A good chance of rain Friday and Saturday, then slightly cooler temps. I am repeating the St. Paul forecast. Talk about boring. Maybe I need to do something insanely exciting, so I can report it. But I need to get the hwarhath collection done. Writing so often gets in the way of life.

If I got really energetic I could finish all my writing projects in about a year, then devote myself to something else. But I have ideas for new stories. So much for hang gliding.

As I have mentioned before, I don't like doing the final work on stories -- revising and proofing and producing a clean file. I do like the first draft, when the story is new and I'm not entirely sure what will happen next. Once I clear out the to-do list, I can get back to the fun part of writing.

I was reading Diana Wynne Jones and listening to a broadcast of Manon Lescaut last night. Which makes me start thinking I would like to write a YA fantasy. Something rich and melodic, like a Puccini opera. I'm going to see Puccini's Girl of the Golden West in a week or two. That opera has a happy ending. Girl of the Golden West done as a YA fantasy...

Well, that is all daydreaming. I have to finish three collections and a novel first -- and proof three more novels, so they can be reprinted as ebooks. Maybe I will write a story about an artist who spends her life daydreaming of the great work she could do...