Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thoughts About the Gulf and Global Warming

In the past, when I brooded about global warming, my brother would point out three cheering facts. (1) Given the human life span, both of us will be dead before things get really bad. (2) Neither of us has children, so we don't have to worry about what happens to the children. (3) Rising sea levels will put most of Florida under water.

However, global warming is happening faster than originally expected; and the disasters causing by a reckless and unsustainable economic system are happening now. It's one thing to contemplate Florida slowly going under water. It's another thing to see the Gulf Coast coated with oil.

1 Comments:

Blogger lydamorehouse said...

I know what you mean. I've always comforted myself that I would be long dead before the sun went supernova and the world blinked out of existance.

But with the ocean broken, I can help but wonder if I'll see an extinction level event in MY LIFETIME.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home