Monday, June 28, 2010

A Dream

I don't usually remember dreams. When I do remember one fairly clearly, I tend to think it means something. It's a message from my subconscious. This is one of two dreams I had last night:

I was a kid, with my parents and brother in the house where I grew up, which had been built by the Walker Art Center as a design project into the late 1940s. (All of this is true.) We were discussing moving, which my father wanted to do. I was reluctant. Suddenly, in the middle of this discussion and the middle of the night, someone knocked on the door. One of us answered the door. There was a couple outside, middle class Midwesterners. Whoever answered the door pointed out that it was the middle of the night. The woman replied angrily, "We have a right to be here. We just bought this house."

We were startled, but invited them in. The man was enthusiastic. He had always loved this house, and now he would be able to live in it. I was upset, because it meant we would have to move.

In the next part of the dream we were talking to contractors working for the couple. They told us the house was going to be torn down and an upscale boutique hotel built on the lot. The couple had lied to us.

In the third part of the dream, my family was at a party given by the couple. They were now very different: no longer slightly arty middle class Midwesterners, such as I had known as a kid, but far more prosperous, not at all arty and clearly from the East or West Coast. I was talking to the women, asking her if she and her husband owned a chain of hotels and where their money came from. The woman was very evasive. I suddenly said, "Your money is from drug dealing."

So what is the dream about? -- Lies and losing one's home to crooks.

I have been feeling depressed since the jobs bill failed -- in part because this harms me and Patrick, but also because I had not believed Congress could be this stupid and this willing to play dangerous games with the economy. In addition, I am deeply unhappy with Obama. He campaigned on hope and change and has given us neither. He is not using the one great gift he has, his ability to inspire people by speaking. He is a conservative, timid president faced with huge problems, which he can't seem to get a grip on. We get sad photos of him on beaches in the Gulf Coast, looking lost and alone.

As far as I know, Obama is not a crook, but he clearly ran for election on lies; and many Americans are losing their homes to crooked banks and politicians in the pay of banks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home