Saturday, April 17, 2010

Duluth

Patrick and I drove up to Duluth and spent a few hours wandering around Canal Park. The sky and the lake were both bright blue.

Coming back, I worried about money. We have both been out of work for a year now. I wonder if it's time to admit defeat and say we are not going to work again.

As far as I know, 15-20% of the working population is still unemployed or underemployed. It looks as if the government is just going to live with this -- and with the kids who are not going to find jobs when they leave school, and the people who can no longer pay the mortgages on their underwater homes, and the people who have lost part or most of their retirement.

Listening to Ben Bernanke and Tim Geithner, it seems this is the way it is. Too bad, but there's nothing that can be done.

Though how much -- a trillion? -- was spent on bailing out the banks. The bankers still have their jobs and bonuses.

Reading the New York Times this evening, it seems as if the Icelandic volcano is a bigger deal than the collapse of the world economy. The disrupted air travel is more inconvenient and painful than what millions upon millions of ordinary people around the world are going through, due to the financial crisis.

I feel as if the people without jobs have vanished.

At least I am writing. My young heroine has gotten a job as a maid. It isn't what she wants to do with her life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We may have passed each other on the way - my wife and I also went up to Duluth on Saturday. I got a phone call from my mother at 9:15 that my brother & sister-in-law had shown up for visit, please come up. We did - got to Duluth about 2pm, left again about 5pm, got home about 7:30.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home