Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dentist

Our car is with Patrick in Fargo. I had a medical appointment in Minneapolis yesterday, which took 20 minutes, but 3+ hours travel time on mass transit. Today I have a dental appointment in Minneapolis, which will take as long or longer.

However, this post is actually about Facebook. I signed up for Facebook a year ago and could not figure out its appeal. Now I have. It is great if you are out of work and feeling socially isolated. I can start every day with little comments from people I know and like, though I may not see them often.

As Unemployment tells all job seekers, discouragement and depression can be pretty serious problems, especially in this economy. I figure I need to put some effort -- probably every day -- into not feeling down. Face Book helps.

So -- every day do something that makes me feel loved or at least liked, something that makes me feel in control, and something that advances the job search.

I just went on line and checked two nonprofit job listings and the Star Tribune. Nothing new at the non profit listings. The Strib was kind of scary -- not a lot of ads for accounting work of any kind, and many (possibly most)of the ads were from temp agencies or placement agencies. This last makes sense in this economy. Who wants to put an ad in the paper and get a gazillion reponses?

Unemployment says most jobs are found by networking. I guess I had better start networking. Back to Facebook...

3 Comments:

Blogger Peg said...

I have heard that LinkedIn is even better for networking for jobhunting than Facebook, although I haven't used it to speak of myself.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Craigslist, monster.com and careerbuilder.com are probably better sources for jobs than the Strib want ads currently. If you're willing to look at contract positions, dice.com is a good resource.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Tim Susman said...

I'd recommend LinkedIn for job hunting as well. The best feature (I think) is that you can store references and recommendations there from previous jobs.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home