Sunday, June 17, 2007

Summer

I think I have to admit it’s summer. The temperature has been close to 90 for five days in a row. In places where the grass isn’t watered, it’s turning brown. The slopes along the freeway are thick with flowers: thistles, crown vetch, milkweed, bindweed, yellow sweet clover and all kinds of other flowers I can’t identify.

Vegetation has a specific summer smell. Part of it is cut grass, but there are other aromas. The air smells like summer now, when I walk on the parkway along the river.

I haven’t seen a lot of butterflies. I don’t know if this means anything.

The Farmers Market has broccoli, cabbage, napa cabbage, tomatoes, strawberries, lots of lettuce and spinach and scallions.

I need to remember that -- with all the looming problems the world has -- life is pretty good for me now.

2 Comments:

Blogger lydamorehouse said...

The butterflies are coming, I believe. I've been checking my milkweed plants for signs of life, but saw a number of baby catapillers on my parent's milweeds in LaCrosse.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a Monarch caterpillar go from tiny to full size last week,a nd it has disappeared now. I'm choosing to assume that it has gone into its chrysallis for nine-days of pupation.

Butterflies next week, Eleanor!

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home